Benjamin Davidson, a native of Posen, embraced Christianity in London, probably under the ministry of Ridley Herschell, who had known him at home. In 1843 they both belonged to a Hebrew Christian Prayer Union, which used to meet once a month for prayer. In 1847 Davidson was appointed Principal of the Missionary Training College of the British Society for the Propagation of the Gospel among the Jews. He also used to instruct enquirers.
He was the author of an “Analytical Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon,” “Syriac Reading Lessons with Analysis,” and “Chaldee Reading Lessons,” an English edition of Gesenius’ Hebrew Grammar. He assisted in the editing of the “Englishman’s Hebrew Concordance.” His chief literary work, however, was posthumous – a Concordance of the Hebrew and Chaldee Scriptures.
Davidson was also actively engaged from time to time in missionary work. In 1866 he laboured in Vienna and had much intercourse with students. In Bordeaux he stirred up an interest in the Jews among evangelical Christians, so that they founded the “Societé d’amis d’Israel.” In 1871 he became Superintendent of the Home for Aged Converts and for Orphans, where he died the same year.
Bernstein, A. 1999. Jewish Witnesses for Christ. Jerusalem: Keren Ahvah Meshihit.